Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Olympus 35 SP Rangefinder


$6000+. That is how expensive a Leica rangefinder camera is. Its worth a second hand car or a pro level DSLR body. With prices like this for rangefinders, it almost seems like a dream to own one. However, thanks to the big guys from Olympus, Yashica, Canon, Nikon, etc we can own a rangefinder at a price we can pay for. Of all the rangefinders released by these companies, the one that really interested me was the Olympus 35 SP. The O-35 SP is one of the many compact rangefinders made by Olympus around 1969 to 1976. It was in another league of cameras when compared to its competition back in the days. Today, it is still a very fine camera sought after by collectors and people who just want to try using a rangefinder.




One of the things that got me interested in this camera is the glass that is sitting in front of it. A 42mm f1.7 Zuiko Lens (7 elements in 5 groups). Great for low light and just about enough wideness to cover street style and regular shots. I got my copy in mint condition with its original case, strap and battery at a thrift store for $25. It usually goes for around $90-$400 on eBay, depending on the condition, color, and what comes with it. I got myself a really good deal here. This camera can run without batteries, that is the other thing I liked about it, however, all your shooting will have to be manual. Not SLR-like manual, but pure manual. If loaded with a PX625 cell, its built in meter will start working and it can assist you in getting the right exposure the same way as digital cameras do. Unfortunately, the battery on this one has died. I already ordered the PX625 Mercury Cell alternative (Wein Cell MRB625). The replacement batteries only cost around $2-$4 a piece.

I have yet to explore the camera and will post updates once I thoroughly check it.




1 comment:

  1. Which is the best product among those listed in this site??

    ReplyDelete