Sunday, June 17, 2012

First Roll

I just went through my first roll of film on the Olympus Trip 35. I picked the Kodak BW 400 film for starters. I loaded the film and just kept shooting until the counter got to 24. When I had the film processed, I was a bit disappointed (no, not because of the film or camera) because some of my shots were out of focus. This is due to the fact that the camera has a different method of trying to get subjects in focus compared to the easy focusing system of the DSLRs that I have used.

Zone Focus System. Symbols on top side. Distance in ft/m on the bottom

The Trip 35 has what is called a Zone Focus system. See the symbols on the top side of the camera? Each symbol indicates a certain distance where a subject can be of focus. No, focusing does not happen in the view finder. The first symbol, represented by a single person engraving means a subject can be in focus at a distance of 1 meter. Then the rest of the symbols represent 1.5m, 3m, and infinity respectively. It takes a bit of practice before getting the shots right. Don't worry, if you tend to forget about what the symbols represent, there is always the standard distance in ft (top)/ m(bottom) on the bottom side of the lens. There is a lot of experimenting done when taking a shot using this camera and that's what makes taking pictures more fun. Did I mention it does not need batteries at all? Yup, you heard me right but we'll talk about that next time.

Here are some sample shots from my first roll:

My oof brother

Somehow this was oof too

I think I had this set to the wrong symbol

Old Chevy








1 comment:

  1. I need someone to recommend the best product among those listed on this site?:-)

    ReplyDelete